AEA TRP2 Ribbon 2-Channel Mic Preamplifier
£915.83 ex. vat
The AEA TRP2 is a professional Ribbon Preamp that provides two channels of high-output, high-impedance, and low-noise gain, while giving you a rich and natural sound. This preamp is specifically designed for ribbon microphones, and excels at drawing out the warmth and lush sound that ribbons are uniquely known for. The TRP2 is AEA’s second iteration of the high-performance TRP preamp with the addition of new features including phantom power, optional rack ears, and a switching power supply. Polarity reverse switches for ensuring proper polarity throughout the recording chain and switchable 100 Hz, 12 dB per octave low-frequency filters allow you to tame proximity problems.
The sound and tonality of dynamic microphones like ribbons and moving-coils are directly affected by the impedance of a preamp. The higher the impedance, the better the sound. The RPQ2 boasts an extra high input impedance of 63K Ohms. Preamps with an impedance of under 10k ohms will limit the lows, highs, and transients of your passive microphones. The RPQ2’s high impedance will reveal your microphone’s true nature– a thick low-end, open top-end, and articulate transient response that you will need to hear to believe. Both condensers and active microphones will also benefit from the RPQ2’s impedance.
The TRP2 is housed in a portable and lightweight half-rack aluminium chassis. This form factor allows you to easily take it to remote gigs, other studios, and on the road. The TRP2 can be easily racked with the optional TRP2 Rack Ears. Attach the rack ears to the TRP2 and unit can be securely installed in any standard rack. Two TRP2s can be mounted side by side in a single rack space by purchasing the AEA TRP2 Rack Shelf. Screwing two TRP2s to the rack shelf, the whole assembly can be securely installed in any standard rack.
- Two channels with 85dB of sweet and quiet JFET gain
- Switchable phantom-power, polarity reverse, and high-pass filter
- 63k ohm high-impedance circuitry providing better overall transients, frequency response, and higher output sensitivity
- Optimized for ribbon mics, condensers, and dynamics
- 1U half-rack with optional hardware for mounting one or two units together
- Size: 8.5” w, 8.5 d, 1.5” h (36.7 cm x 36.7 cm x 4.3 cm)
- Weight: 2lbs oz (0.9 kg)
- Gain at 1kHz: 85dB of gain at 1kHz, balanced-in to balanced-out in Microphone Input mode
- Noise figure, rms A-weighted: <2dB
- Noise figure, rms unweighted: <3dB, 20 kHz LPF bandwidth
- THD: -3dB <1Hz and >100 kHz <0.02% at 1 kHz
- Input impedance: 63K Ohms (10K Ohms when P48 is engaged)
- Input Gain control: Twelve-position switch provides from +7dB to +63dB of gain for the preamplifier circuit, as measured between the input and the before the output line driver.
- Switched LF Shelving filter: 12dB per octave from 100 Hz
- Color LEDs: Yellow, Green, Red
- XLR output maximum level into 600Ω load: +28 dBu, balanced; 0 dBu = 0.7746 V rms
- XLR connectors polarity: Pin-1 is ground, pin-2 is high, pin-3 is low
- LED signal level indicators: The green LED snaps on at -20 dBu to indicate the presence of signal; the yellow LED snaps on at 0 dBu; the red LED snaps on at +24 dBu to warn of approaching signal overload.