AEA R84A Phantom-powered Ribbon Microphone
£1,299.17 ex. vat
The AEA R84A is a phantom powered R84 that delivers the same award-winning sound as its passive sibling and offers you 12dB more sensitivity, thats over 4 times louder! Its higher output and immunity to impedance-loading offer more flexibility in the choice of preamps, and avoid noise problems in low signal level applications. Touring musicians who are looking for consistent and risk-free performance in a wide range of venues and recording setups will find a trusty companion in the R84A microphone.
The R84A remedies most of the limitations of passive ribbon microphones, whether in a remote recording situation with long cable runs, a classical music application, or simply for the wish to combine the ribbon sound with a low-gain vintage preamp. The signal strength and flexibility of active JFET electronics combined with the luxurious warmth of a Big Ribbon™ all wrapped up in an affordable package is what sets this microphone apart. No studio is complete without a pair of R84As.
- Phantom powered R84 with 12 dB more sensitivity
- Custom German toroidal transformer and JFET electronics
- Optimal for soft sound sources and classical recording
- Same award-winning sound as the passive R84
- Operating Principle: Pressure gradient microphone
- Directional Pattern: Bidirectional (Figure-of-8)
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 141+ dBSPL (1% third harmonic > 1 kHz)
- Output Sensitivity: 6.3 mV/Pa (-44 dBV) into unloaded circuit
- Self Noise: 17.5 dB(A)
- Output Impedance: 92 Ω broadband
- Recommended Load Impedance: 1.0 kΩ or greaterPowering:
- P48 phantom power, 7 mAPolarity: Pin 2 high for positive pressure on front of microphone.
- Connector: XLR-3M wired to a 3 m captive cableOff Axis Response:
- Polar Pattern: Native bi-directional pattern
- Horizontal: Level changes with angle, frequency response is consistent, –35 dB null at 90° / 270°
- Vertical: Level changes with angle, reduced HF response above and below 0° / 180° axis, –35 dB null at 90° / 270°
- Ribbon Thickness: 1.8 μ (0.0000018 m) of pure aluminum
- Ribbon Width: 0.185” (4.7 mm)
- Ribbon Length: 2.35” (59.7 mm)
- Included: Custom storage / shipping case, manual
- Limited Warranty: One year parts and labor, shipping not included. Three year extended warranty if the product is registered.
- Weight with Cable: 3 lb 11 oz (1.7 kg) in storage case with cable
- Height: 11.6” (29.5 cm)
- Width: 3.9” (9.9 cm)
- Depth: 2.5” (6.4 cm)