AEA R88 MK2 Stereo Ribbon Microphone
£1,832.50 ex. vat
AEA R88 Stereo Ribbon Microphone
The AEA R88 MK2 stereo ribbon mic utilities the same basic LRG and acoustic structure as the R44CNE, and delivers that "big ribbon" sound for stereo applications. AEA's first ribbon mic, classic high-output R44, continues gaining converts with its natural sound, articulate midrange and forgiving nature. Both the AEA R88 and R44 use Large Ribbon Geometry (LRG) architecture with a big, .185 by 2.35 inches by 1.8 micron, pure aluminium low-tension ribbon that delivers effortless bass down to 20 Hz. Both these LRG mics handle high SPL situations well and can handle 168 dB SPL at 1 kHz and above.
AEA, which has been working with high-performance ribbon mics for over 20 years, also manufacturers accessories for stereo and surround recording. Its custom products include high-end studio booms and stands, Decca trees, stereo microphone positioners, MS stereo decoders and solid-state stereo phase monitors. The AEA R88 Mk2 is a new microphone and a classic sound. Pure and true, it is remarkably free of distortion. Just as versatile as its venerable father, it flatters voice, strings, brass and drums.
- Big Ribbon Blumlein (XY) and MS stereo ribbon mic
- Pure Ribbon design with open and natural sound
- Used in many Grammy Award-winning projects
- Great foundation for main or sectional pickup
- Operating Principle: Pressure gradient microphone
- Directional Pattern: Bidirectional (Figure-of-8)
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 165+ dBSPL (1% third harmonic > 1 kHz)
- Output Sensitivity: 2.5 mV/Pa (-52 dBV) into unloaded circuit
- Output Impedance: 270 Ω nominal
- Recommended Load Impedance: 1.2 kΩ or greater
- Powering: Not required or recommended
- Polarity: Pin 2 and 4 high for positive pressure on front of microphone.
- Connector: XLR-5M connector, includes breakout cable to 2x XLR-3M
- Ribbon Thickness: 1.8 μ (0.0000018 m) of pure aluminium
- Ribbon Width: 0.185” (4.7 mm)
- Ribbon Length: 2.35” (59.7 mm)
- Included: Custom storage / shipping case, manual, 12-foot breakout cable, swivel
- Limited Warranty: One year parts and labour, shipping not included. Three year extended warranty if the product is registered.
- Weight with Cable: 5 lb 3 oz (2.36 kg)
- Height: 15” (38.1 cm)
- Width: 3”