AEA R88A Phantom-Powered version of theR88mk2 Stereo Ribbon Microphone - New Product
£1,957.50 ex. vat
AEA R88A Phantom-Powered version of the R88mk2 Stereo Ribbon Microphone - New Product
The active AEA R88A mic retains the same sonic character of the R88, but with an additional 12dB of output and a stable impedance. ideal preamp, AEA offers the Active R88A, a premium version of the R88 complete with JFET electronics and the same custom transformer used in our active R44. It’s basically an R88 with a built-in preamp. This gives a consistent frequency response and greater flexibility with different preamps, including those found in audio interfaces for personal computers. This is great for on-the-road musicians who might have to use a different preamp each night.
The extra 12db of output is vital when recording quiet sources like vocals or soft acoustic guitars. The active circuitry also prevents noise interference on long cable runs or when operating near large lighting rigs. The R88A’s active circuitry requires standard 48-volt phantom power to operate. The premium R88A is visually distinguished by a red cable at its base.
The R88 and R88A are almost identical in sound. The R88A is an R88, but equipped with custom-made Lehle transformer and active electronics. Though the two versions of the microphone sound very similar and both deliver the classic ribbon sound, they have different requirements. The choice between the R88 and R88A is contingent on the specific needs of an engineer and their environment.
AEA R88A Specifications
- Operating Principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional Pattern: Bidirectional
- Frequency Range: < 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 165 dB SPL (1% third harmonic > 1 kHz)
- Sensitivity: 2.5 mV/Pa (-52 dBV) into unloaded circuit
- Output Impedance: 270 Ω broadband
- Load Impedance: 1.2 kΩ or greater
- Phantom power: Not required or recommended
- Polarity: Pin 2 and 4 high for positive pressure at the front of the microphone.
- Off Axis Response: Bidirectional
- Horizontal: Level changes with angle, frequency response is consistent, -35dB null at 90º / 270º
- Vertical: Level changes with angle, reduced HF response above and below 0º / 180º, -25 dB null at 90º / 270º
- Transducer Element
- Material: Pure aluminum corrugated ribbon
- Thickness: 1.8 µm
- Width: 0.185 in (4.7 mm)
- Length: 2.35 in (59.7 mm)
Storage/shipping case, swivel adapter, custom protective mic sleeve, user manual