Manley SLAM Stereo Limiter & Microphone Preamp Analogue I/O only
£6,332.50 ex. vat
SLAM! stands for "Stereo Limiter And Micpre" and it pretty much describes what it will do to most VU meters. We had to put a switch on this limiter to drop its internal VU meters down 3 & 6dB to keep the poor little needles from bending, it'll get LOUD fast (hence the exclamation mark). And on top of being an amazing pair of (actually four) Limiters, and Class A tube mic preamps, it also has masters degrees in DI, AtoD and DtoA, VU and PPM but that was too much for an acronym.
When it comes to classic gear, especially classic limiters, we can all agree numbers like LA2s, 1176s, 2264s, and others come to mind. What if all those sounds were to be found in one stereo tube unit. Interested? We combined our favorite Electro-Optical circuit with a damn fast FET based brick-wall limiter reminiscent of some cool classics. And we added a sidechain filter that can remove low frequencies that makes it more useful for a variety of tasks, while retaining that easy, "it just works" quality that has made it a favorite for vocals everywhere. The FET-based limiter has different desirable characteristics that both optimise the signal for digital recording, due to the brick-wall capability, and let you dial in how clean or crunchy, or punchy, and how loud and proud you want it.
The SLAM! starts with tube Mic Preamps on both channels with switchable phantom power and phase reverse. We've got plenty of gain for you in this new tube circuit, up to 60dB with 20dB more in the limiter, plenty for soft singers using low output ribbon mics. The input attenuator is right up front, like a variable pad so your loud rock n' rollers won't cause a problem either. Track direct with the Direct Instrument input or bring your line level inputs into the SLAM! for processing
Includes optional 24 Bit/96KHz Analog to Digital converter and 24 Bit/192KHz Digital to Analog converter card. This allows you to record directly to your computer or workstation and provides a convenient way to use a digital insert to jump into the analog realm and back. An AES digital input receives your stereo digital signal to convert to analog for processing by the SLAM! when the DAC input is selected. Or just take advantage of this killer DAC and use the DAC Output for monitoring, listening, or to go out to some other analog processors or tape machines.
- Input Tubes: 2 x 12AT7A NOS GE specially selected by Manley Labs for lo-noise and stable bias
- Output Tubes: 2 x 6414W NOS USA dual triodes
- I/O: MANLEY transformer coupled Balanced Inputs and Outputs
- Micpre: Selectable 48V phantom power and PHASE REVERSE
- Gain: 60dB max Micpre, 43dB max DI, 20dB max Limiter Gain
- Input Impedance: 2000 ohms micpre, 1Meg ohm DI
- ELOP Limiter: Attack: approx. 10mS for 6dB GR; Release: 2.5 Sec; Ratio: 10:1
- DAC: AES 24Bit 192KHz upsampling from 44.1, 48, 88.2, & 96KHz
- A to D: 24Bit 96KHz (for now)
- Frequency Response: 5Hz to 60KHz
- Maximum Output: +32dBm, +30dBm
- THD+N: <.05>
- Dynamic Range: 115dB typical
- Output Impedance: 200 ohms