Phoenix Audio DRSQ4 MKII Dual MicPre EQ & AEA R88 MKII Stereo Ribbon Microphone Bundle
£1,999.16 ex. vat
DRSQ4 & R88 MKII Bundle
This bundle consists of the Phoenix audio DRS-Q4 MKII and the AEA R88. The AEA R88 stereo ribbon mic utilities the same basic LRG and acoustic structure as the R44CNE, and delivers that "big ribbon" sound for stereo applications. Combined with the Phoenix Audio DRS-Q4 MKII you will achieve amazing tonal and sonic quality.
The AEA R88 stereo ribbon mic utilities the same basic LRG and acoustic structure as the R44CNE, and delivers that "big ribbon" sound for stereo applications. AEA's first ribbon mic, classic high-output R44, continues gaining converts with its natural sound, articulate midrange and forgiving nature. Both the AEA R88 and R44 use Large Ribbon Geometry (LRG) architecture with a big, .185 by 2.35 inches by 1.8 micron, pure aluminium low-tension ribbon that delivers effortless bass down to 20 Hz. Both these LRG mics handle high SPL situations well and can handle 168 dB SPL at 1 kHz and above.
AEA, which has been working with high-performance ribbon mics for over 20 years, also manufacturers accessories for stereo and surround recording. Its custom products include high-end studio booms and stands, Decca trees, stereo microphone positioners, MS stereo decoders and solid-state stereo phase monitors. The AEA R88 is a new microphone and a classic sound. Pure and true, it is remarkably free of distortion. Just as versatile as its venerable father, it flatters voice, strings, brass and drums.
The Phoenix Audio DRS-Q4 MKII is a professional Microphone Preamp and DI with -30dB input pad, High Pass Filter and Class A inputs built into a 1U sized unit so you can easily integrate this outboard gear into your studio. This Preamp allows a vast variety of sounds, useful for everything from clean high-headroom mix buss tone shaping to deep frequency carving to smooth Class-A circuit saturation.
The Phoenix DRS Mic Preamp/DIs take a modern approach to Class-A circuit design that delivers a wide range of tones without sacrificing the beloved vibe of true Class-A design. The unique DRS circuit can go from ultra-clean sounds suitable for audiophile recordings all the way to the warm, saturated tones reminiscent of the UK's most heralded vintage designs. Versatility and superior sound have made the DRS Preamp/DI a top-tier choice for engineers around the world and a modern day classic.
Hi-Fi Transformerless Mic Input Stage
Phoenix Audio’s exclusive electronically-balanced, transformerless mic input circuit delivers fast transients and the full frequency spectrum (from sub-bass to the highest air band), while still delivering the full, warm and smooth characteristics that make engineers love Class-A mic preamps. Boldly outperforming transformer-based designs in both the frequency response and slew rate, the DRS delivers articulate, punchy and full-bodied input signals, allowing you to drive the output stage for a vast range of pure Class-A tones—from bold clarity to vintage warmth, and everything in-between.
- Operating Principle: Pressure gradient microphone
- Directional Pattern: Bidirectional (Figure-of-8)
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 165+ dBSPL (1% third harmonic > 1 kHz)
- Output Sensitivity: 2.5 mV/Pa (-52 dBV) into unloaded circuit
- Output Impedance: 270 Ω nominal
- Recommended Load Impedance: 1.2 kΩ or greater
- Powering: Not required or recommended
- Polarity: Pin 2 and 4 high for positive pressure on front of microphone.
- Connector: XLR-5M connector, includes breakout cable to 2x XLR-3M
- Ribbon Thickness: 1.8 μ (0.0000018 m) of pure aluminium
- Ribbon Width: 0.185” (4.7 mm)
- Ribbon Length: 2.35” (59.7 mm)
- Included: Custom storage / shipping case, manual, 12-foot breakout cable, swivel
- Limited Warranty: One year parts and labour, shipping not included. Three year extended warranty if the product is registered.
- Weight with Cable: 5 lb 3 oz (2.36 kg)
- Height: 15” (38.1 cm)
- Width: 3”
- 1U unit: With 240V/110V mains voltage input selector switch
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz +- 0.5dB,
- Maximum Output Level: +26dBu @ 1kHz
- Noise: -90dB @ 20Hz to 20kHz.
- Output connections: XLR and TSR 1/4″ Jack on rear
- Microphone/Line input: XLR on Rear Panel
- DI inputs: ¼” TS Jack on Front Panel
- Individual Earth Lift: Push-button Switches
- Gain Range (Mic input): -30 to -70 in 5dB steps With 10dB more available on the fader.
- Gain reduction: -30dB push-button Mic/Line switch (Mic input)
- High Input Impedance DI: Mono 1/4″ Jack on front panel (no FETs)
- Gain Meter: LED Metering. (Green = 0dB, Yellow = +8dB, corresponding to “4” and “6” on a PPM Meter).
- Phantom Power: Switchable phantom on Push-button Switch
- High Pass Filter: Roll-off starts at 120Hz @ 12dB per Octave.
- Phase Reverse: on Push-button Switch
- Frequency Response Mic Input Stage: -0.4dB @ 40Hz, -0.3dB @ 25kHz
- Frequency Response: DI Input Stage: -0.3dB @ 40Hz, – 0.5dB @ 25kHz
- Typical Headroom: +26dB on Mic-Pre stage
- Gyratory-based EQ Frequency Centres: (4 Bands) High – 15K, 10K, Hi Mid – 6K, 3K, 1K6, Low Mid – 800Hz, 400Hz, 200Hz, Low – 130Hz, 80Hz, 40Hz
- EQ Cut/Boost Levels: 16dB Cut/Boost Per Band with fully detented pots in 21 positions
- DI Stage gain: Maximum of 30dB